Wednesday, December 28, 2011

time out


Hmph. The Solstice is over, Christmas is over, even Boxing Day is over so why isn't it spring yet? It's still quite dark by 4:30 in the afternoon, a situation that leaves me little daylight for getting all those daytime chores done and still have a few hours of natural light for painting. What could be going on?

Is time really speeding up? If you take a little time touring the internet under the search 'time speeding up', you'll find many sites dedicated to 2012 and very few linked to any sort of science. However, I did run into one theory related to quantum physics about the Schumann resonances. Wikipedia describes them as a set of spectrum peaks in the extremely low frequency (ELF) portion of the Earth's electromagnetic field spectrum that are global resonances excited by lightning discharges in the area between the Earth's surface and the ionosphere. According to Wiki the planet has had a relatively stable resonance of 7.8 cycles per second for thousands of years. It's been likened to the heartbeat of Earth. Fine. So what could that have to do with time speeding up?

According to many 2012 websites the pulse of the Schumann resonance began to speed up around 1980 and has been measured at 12 cycles per second. That would mean that although there are still 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour etc. that time as we experience it has actually been moving faster. If that's true then we're all actually spending just 16 hours instead of 24 hours getting all the things we need to get done in a day. What an amazing and unlikely claim that seemed to be. If it were true it would be spring by now and that is patently not the case. By then I was sure I wasn't alone in believing there are some people with too much time on their hands. What will they all do for fun when 12.21.12 arrives and nothing happens? Well, nothing obvious anyway..

Perhaps Father Time in this wonderful painting by Edmund Dulac might have a bottle containing a little extra time for me. I'm willing to share. Meanwhile here's another take on time:


UN TOUR DE MANEGE from alexis liddell on Vimeo.


16 comments:

  1. Is that just a fancy way of saying that as we age time seems to go faster? As kids, it never seemed to go fast enough.

    The linked video is beautiful. You do find the nicest things... but how do you find the time to do so? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♥this is my way of saying I am here @1am, still awaiting some sane time with my favorite bloggers...tomorrow looks promising lest I collapse or magically disappear!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dulac for philosopher-king of Thursdays. Does this mean we'll be able to defeat Quetzalcoatl if we can only get our hands on a Delorean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering why I have been consistently late for the last 31 years. Now, would you please tell my wife?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When earth time speeds up it is speeding up with reference to some other place (space/time.) To us on earth time remains the same.
    Recently they have discovered particles that are moving faster than the speed of light - blowing parts of Ernestine's theory away. The theory is still relevant in many instances as it is accurately used in many applications (GPS ect.}
    We have known we can travel forward in time as we approach the speed of light - Perhaps past that point might we be able to travel back?
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got distracted: I love your painting.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  7. marja-leena - Although they're trying to make it sound different I think that's just what it is. Yes, days were long when we were young, weren't they?

    That was a lovely video. I probably waste too much time with internet gadgets :-)

    linda - I'm glad you've been by and hope you had a good long sleep after that.
    xoxo

    randal - He's still my favorite inspiration. Geez, if it could be done I'd even ride in an Edsel.

    mrmacrum - You could just show her one of the 2012 'time speeding up' links.

    ol'buzzard - From what I can understand Einstein's relativity theory works just fine in understanding of how the universe works at a macro level whereas quantum mechanics operates on uncertainty, probability and complimentarity at a micro level. Relativity can't describe quantum events and the larger world looked at through the microscope of quantum physics is too blurry to describe factually. There's still a long way to go before the two of them meet or some better description of everything is devised. Meanwhile, there's lots of very interesting work being done with particles interacting with one another instantaneously but we're a whole lot bigger than a quark. I'd settle for world peace.

    ps: I'm glad you like Dulac as he's one of my most favorite watercolorists.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The big event many feel is coming, has in fact been in motion for sometime, hence the speeding up of time! The changes have been hyped up, but, if one looks at the changes in weather, the many disasters happening, then you can see the cleansing of the world beginning. What lays ahead of us we are yet to see, but I for one truly hope it is a returning to the way of the heart....

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fabulous little video...you always find the best ones. loved her little peak at the end as if.... maybe it was rather a fun adventure...i sure loved it! ;0

    as for time, i know it's moving faster as for me, we can be at the beginning of one new year and suddenly the seasons say spring-summer and then it's thanksgiving and i feel like i am running all the time to catch up to the fantasy of it. time is in the mind they say but boy do i feel it in my old bones these days! ;)

    much lovexoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time boggles my mind more all the Time. :)

    Very interesting concepts/considerations. Marvelous vimeo. I saved the url, thinking I will remember to post it at FB on Mother's Day (which seems so far off, but will be here in a few breaths...).

    Happy New Year to Yous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't load the video at the moment (too many people home and using the bandwidth), but that wiki is really interesting. For years MathMan has been explaining the whole time thing to me as a matter of percentages. All I know is that the days go faster and time hates my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. gemel - I well remember the Harmonic Convergence in 1987 that was also led by Arguelles. We've witnessed people the world over realize the paucity of political/economic structures and the value of each other and the planet. That's what I hope will continue and grow.

    linda - I have a secret stash :-) I think you're right that she enjoyed herself.

    I feel just the same way about time going faster than I can manage. It's also true around here that a one mile walk in summer becomes a two mile walk in winter.
    xoxo

    lydia - I'm happy I found such a nice one you'll be able to use. Yes, when I thought back to our brief meeting and all the changes since it felt as though it should have been at least 3 years rather than one and a half.

    lisa - Sorry about the video. I do know what they say about the percentages of the universe expanding at such and such a rate but what it come down to for us is that there's never enough time. It hates my skin too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm so relieved that there's an explanation! i really DO have less time than i used to ;0p

    you may have already come across this.... one of two parts..... perhaps to listen to while you paint about time

    http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2010/07/13/time-kaleidoscope-listen/

    haven't yet figured out how to make this a link in a post on someone else's page....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just came by to see if you had anything new up. Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure what I think about time going faster. It does seem to, but maybe that's how everyone feels as they get older. ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Time is, of course, relative. Unfortunately, so is digestion. ;o)

    ReplyDelete