Saturday, March 19, 2016

other people's work #57 - Inga Moore


Sometimes when I think I want to draw I'll find myself doing  absolutely everything I can think of to put off the moment of starting to work.


I make another cup of tea.


I find a telephone call that must be made, a letter or an email that must be answered.


I sharpen pencils.


I look at the plant on the windowsill and decide that this is just the time to water it, or fertilize it, or prune it.




Maybe it's even time to repot it.




So I hunt for the houseplant book or search online where it says severely that this kind of plant enjoys being pot-bound and should never be repotted.




Then I might turn to the jars of brushes and pens on my drawing table, and find that some of the pens are drying out, so of course those must be sorted out..




Far too often I find a book to read until it's time to do some other practical task - like making dinner.



The drawing has been put off to another day, days that have added up to weeks this winter.


A week or so ago I came across the relatively recent illustrations Inga Moore made for 'The Wind in the Willows'. Her work isn't too easy to find online since she has no web page and tends to be reclusive. I did find a very well written article about her here. According to reviews I've read of it the book has been seriously abridged but I'm thinking of buying a copy for the 100+ illustrations. I can always read the unabridged book we have here while I look at her pictures.






I may just give up sharpening my pencils for good.. or maybe not. The reward of art is in being able to spend time in that world apart from the world we know.

16 comments:

  1. I never did read, "Wind in the Willows" and have missed much of that lovely art. Maybe some corrective action is required. Would you say that your drawing has been influenced by this kind of art? It would seem to be the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quote: “Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even his dark and lowly little house with its spirit of divine discontent and longing.”

      I hope you will find time to read it, Tom.

      Influenced? Yes. Definitely. But never succeeded as those I admire most.

      Delete
  2. This sort of 'fanciful' art has always captured me, heart and soul, and whisked me away to the worlds thereby portrayed...just as yours does, too.

    I want a yellow gypsy caravan, and a bed in the wall in a cozy cottage, in a town and countryside like those shown here.

    Thank you for posting this today, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're well on the road to recovery now, Martha.

      Yes, I feel the same as you do about these wonderful places and the idea of having a yellow gypsy caravan. When I first saw these pictures my heart cracked a little. Maybe it was the feeling of light getting inside.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, you do make a delightful story about procrastionation, and illustrated so marvellously by this new-to-me Inga Moore. Thanks for the Sunday morning treat, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to write about procrastination and still not be able to overcome it. Yes, Inga Moore's illustrations are truly wonderful. I'm happy to have introduced them to you, Marja-Leena.

      Delete
  4. What does it say about me that this is the view I'd like my world to have? I guess, who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it shows your good sense and fine taste, Mike. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Susan
    Takes me back to nostalgic memories. Inga Moore's work is amazing and captures the essence of highly imaginative writing that's not likely to be easily repeated. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work really is remarkable, isn't it, Lindsay? As you say images like this and the stories that inspired them are very hard to come by in our materialistic age. Once upon a time men of genius wrote magnificent tales for children.

      Delete
  6. As soon as I saw Badger, I figured these fine illustrations were tied to "Wind in the Willows", a book I enjoyed more than a few times as a child and teen.

    It appears you have refined the art of procrastination. It took me years of hard work, but I too feel I have mastered the ability to avoid that which needs doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be time for you to read it again, MRMacrum. It's just as good as it was.

      Nice to communicate with another master procrastinator.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. So happy you like them, Claire. It's thought that Kenneth Grahame wrote the book as a remembrance of a world that was fast disappearing.

      Delete
  8. Wow! I would be very happy living in those places. They are so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case I'm extra glad I posted them!

      Delete