Wednesday, November 29, 2017

negatively positive



This is a pretty odd picture for me to have painted - no people, no animals, no creatures at all for that matter, and neither is there a landscape or a comfortably furnished space. It came about because I felt like painting something just to watch the colours develop in negative space. I didn't stop to save the in-between bits but the idea is to lay down some background colours then draw some shapes on top. Then paint around them using slightly deeper shades of the background hues. Then you draw more shapes under the first lot and continue doing so until you get bored. It took me four layers to get bored. I think next time I'll go back to drawing (and painting) more story-like pictures - like this one:



12 comments:

  1. Love the detail, especially the swinging skeleton. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm especially glad you like this one
      as it's one of my own favourites, Tom.
      I hope you, Lucy, and Effie have a
      good Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Confess I do like the story-like picture(s) much more.
    A bit windy these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too prefer the story pictures, Sean. They're
      much more interesting to create.
      Windy? Here, there, and everywhere it seems. :)

      Delete
    2. Windy not only metaphori- and politically. The left window-curtains are "pulled outside" by the wind, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Ah, now I see: Last time there were no colours.
    What a difference. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird, it was always a coloured picture.
      Glad you like it (and that my boredom wasn't
      too obvious.

      Delete
    2. Hm, "consult001" which once I allowed myself to pinch because I found it so beautiful, was not coloured. Just sent it to you. :)

      Delete
    3. Now I understand. It's also true I posted this finished version about four years ago and had forgotten about having sent you an earlier version. I like seeing them as they looked while underway. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan
    Think it's always good to experiment and your picture encapulates the wonderful world of colour very well. Both are lovely work to my eyes in different ways.
    The comedian in the video making a statement deliberately less emphatic but unmistakingly sincere as a subtle protest was aparantly surprised how quickly it went viral. I guess that is oft the case with comedians feeling the best way they can contribute and make their mark, is to dress it up with someone's tune combined with a novel presentation.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lindsay, for your always kind remarks about my images.

      Yes, 'No Woman No Drive', was a very clever (yet gentle) remonstrance about that harsh patriarchal system.

      All the best

      Delete